Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Where Were You? Where You There?


The meaning behind the name - Job 38-42 is one of my favorite passages in the Bible.  Job has just been tried and has lost everything he's ever had.  His friends come and try to comfort him and give him advice, but they fail.  God steps in and says, "2Who is this that darkens my counsel with words without knowledge? 3Brace yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer me. 4Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. 5Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it?"(Job38:2-5)  God continues on for four chapters of scolding Job.  These words of God are very important to me.  There are two times Job gets a word in, the first to say, "4I am unworthy-how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth. 5Ispoke once, but I have no answer-twice, but I will say no more."(Job40:4-5)  And the second time to say, "2I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted. 3You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?' Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know. 4You said, 'Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me.' 5My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. 6Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."(Job42:2-6) This whole passage in Job really describes God and shows how truly awesome He is and how truly unworthy we really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment