Thursday, February 9, 2012

Week 6 - New Guilford BIC


New Guilford BIC  Monday June 28–Sunday July 4


My first task at New Guilford was to pick the music for worship on Sunday morning. I also sang with the worship team on Sunday. The team was actually a combination of the two teams that they have. It was interesting to me, being on the outside and being able to observe from there, how the combined team worked together.

I spent a large majority of my week doing odd jobs to prepare for their Vacation Bible School. I updated the bulletin board, created signs and updated postcards. I am glad that I was able to assist New Guilford. On Tuesday I was fortunate to spend the entire day with the youth at Hershey Park. It was a great time of connecting and spending time with the kids.

On Thursday I went visiting with a member of the congregation. We visited six people in a nursing home. It got me thinking about how many people are “shut-ins” and how few people go visit them. Visiting “shut-ins” is beneficial on both ends. How many elderly people do not have someone who visits them? And how much do they have to teach us?

Pastor Lawton and Pastor Richard explained to me that they are currently focusing on discipleship. I was given Growing True Disciples: New Strategies for Producing Genuine Followers of Christ by George Barna to read over the week. While I was not able to finish the entire book, I was still able to learn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment