Friday, August 22, 2014

Friends?

Well, I succeeded in starting today by spending some time with God!

I've been reading through "Let God be God: Life-changing truths from the book of Job" by Ray Stedman.

Job has been my favorite book of the Bible for a very long time (my blog is even named after the book of Job).
Here's what I learned this morning:

"Suffering is much more than an intellectual problem.  It's an experience that engulfs the body, mind, and soul of the sufferer.  Those who provide neat theoretical and theological answers to the "problem of pain" are of no help to people who suffer."

"It takes courage and honesty to admit that there are no easy answers to the problem of pain.  It takes genuine love to stand by people when they are suffering, to simply be present with them instead of offering a lot of empty platitudes or self-righteous accusations about hidden sin."

"Job himself admits that he speaks rashly, but he does so because of his incredible pain and grief.  Anyone who has undergone deep, unrelenting pain knows how suffering can grind down the human spirit.  When Job speaks out about his pain, his friends should listen to his emotions and understand his torment; instead, they argue and attack."

"Job's three friends never ask God for help in understanding Job's problem.  They never pray with Job.  They never ask God for open minds, sensitive hearts, or an enlightened understanding so that they can truly help their friend."

"That's the difference between theology and the experience of a man taught by the Spirit.  Theology can be very clear and right, but it is all in the head.  When you deal with the pain of a human life, you must add a deeper dimension, a dimension of compassion and Christlike empathy.  You must authentically love the afflicted person.  Christlike love opens the door of the human soul to receive the light of God's Spirit."

How many times in a day, do I not pay attention to someone else?  What they are going through?  What they are saying?
Probably a lot more than I can even imagine.

That's a problem.  A huge one.  If I'm not authentically loving every person I meet, then how do I anticipate being able to display Christ?

That's hard to do.  Authentically love every person I know.  Goodness gracious.

Well, I can start by A) shutting my mouth and authentically listening to what they have to say, and B) Praying for them and with them.
Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment