Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Samaritans

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'" Matthew 25:35-36

"But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.  He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine.  Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him.  The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper.  'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'"  Luke 10:33-35


Most likely, you've heard these passages before.  You, like myself, could probably recount any number of lessons learned and sermons given based on these passages.

But here's my issue....
If these passages are talking about complete strangers, how does it work?  How do we show love and help those who need it today?

As I was driving into the city today I, once again, passed someone on the corner begging for change.

My heart breaks and yet I fail to do something about it.

I fail to act like the Samaritan.  I fail to act in the ways that Jesus asked of us.
Why?  Because I'm afraid.


To me, today's world is not a place to act out in love.  It is not a place to do something kind for a complete stranger.
It is a place where that is 'dangerous.'  A place where that is just something we don't do.

There's gotta be a way around that though.  There has to be something that I can do and that others can do.
Beyond just giving money to an organization.  Beyond volunteering time at whatever place.  (Don't get me wrong, those are important things to do.)  There has to be something for my daily life.

So, if you have any suggestions, please feel free to share!  I am always interested in shared ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment